Indulge your taste buds with our irresistible Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Sausage recipe, enhanced with the aromatic charm of fresh dill. Bring together the smoky richness of crispy bacon, the hearty flavor of savory sausage, and the wholesome crunch of cabbage, creating a medley of textures and tastes.
When making my amazing Cheesy Cabbage Steak recipe I always have extra cabbage that I like to shred and keep for later. Make this Fried Cabbage for a quick meal or even to serve with perogies for a more filling supper. If you enjoy quick meal ideas made with leftovers, my Spam Fried Rice is always a great option.
- Shredded Cabbage
- Smoked Farmers Sausage
- Fresh Dill
See recipe card for quantities.
Chop up all your ingredients before heating up your pan.
In a large frying pan on medium-high heat, start by frying up chopped bacon until crispy. Add in your onions and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the sliced sausage into the pan and fry them to get a nice golden color.
Finally, add in the shredded cabbage and cook it down fully. Season with salt and pepper to your preference.
Transfer to your serving platter and sprinkle on freshly chopped dill. Do not skip the dill, it is an essential part of this dish.
- Sausage - You may use garlic sausage or farmers sausage for this dish. The important thing is that you make sure that it is smoked or fully cooked before placing it in the pan. If the sausage you are using is not cooked, I would recommend cooking it first, with the bacon, or as directed on the packaging. Then proceed with adding the other ingredients.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator, inside of airtight containers. I do not recommend placing it in the freezer because the cabbage would get very soft when heating it up.
Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Sausage
- 4 cups Cabbage , shredded
- 4 slices Bacon , chopped
- ½ large White Onion , diced
- 2 cloves Garlic , minced
- 1 large Smoked Farmers Sausage , sliced (about 2 cups)
- ¼ cup Fresh Dill , chopped
- Chop up all your ingredients before starting to cook.
- Place your chopped bacon in a large frying pan or skillet, on medium-high heat. Cook until it starts to get crispy.
- Add the prepared garlic and onion into the pan with the bacon. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sliced farmers sausage into the pan and fry them so they start to get some color.
- Add the shredded cabbage into the frying pan. Stir everything together and cook the cabbage to your desired doneness, at least until it is heated though, 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to a serving dish. Sprinkle the chopped fresh dill over the dish and serve. Enjoy on its own or with your favorite pierogies.