Apart from my sharing a birthday with this American icon, Spam has to be one of the most recognized brands out there! Also known as Klik in Canada, this canned meat is a great product to have in the cupboard. This Spam Fried Rice recipe is perfect to use up leftover rice and other ingredients to make a quick and easy weeknight meal.
Ingredients for Spam Fried Rice
This Spam Fried Rice recipe is perfect to use up left over rice. Using freshly cooked rice makes it harder to get crispy rice. Using frozen vegetables is not only convenient, but also best for this recipe!
- Spam ( or Klik)
- Cooked Rice
- Green Peas
- Corn Kernels
- Green Onion
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Sriracha Sauce
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions for Spam Fried Rice
Cook enough rice to get 2 Cups of cooked rice for the recipe.
Fry the cubed Spam until golden and remove from the pan. Continue with frying the eggs and once cooked, removing them from the pan.
Prepare the Spam and vegetables by cutting them as per the recipe.
Fry the bell peppers, shallot and garlic for 3-4 minutes, then add the rice to fry.
Add the frozen corn and peas to the pan.
Pour the sauces over the fried rice and stir to combine.
Stir in the fried spam and the cooked eggs to the fried rice.
Hint: Although using leftover rice is best to make Spam Fried Rice, we have included cooking rice in this recipe.
The use of Spam and rice is an obvious for this recipe. Personalize this dish with ingredients you already have in your refrigerator or pantry. Personally, I think the frozen peas are another must in this dish!
- Carrot - When using fresh carrots, cut into small pieces and cook at the same time as the bell pepper, garlic and shallot.
- Onion - Replaced the shallot with ½ an onion, diced small.
- Type of rice - This recipe is perfect to use up any kind of rice you have on hand.
Variations of Fried Rice
Spam Fried Rice is a very popular dish and you may have seen many versions of it.
- Fried Eggs - Adding a couple of fried eggs to the final dish is very common.
- Mild - Make this dish milder by omitting the sriracha from the recipe.
Placing the finished dish in an air tight containers and refrigerated, will keep it for 2-3 days.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Spam Fried Rice
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil , divided
- 1 Can Spam ,cut in ½ inch cubes
- 3 Cloves Garlic , minced
- 1 Shallot , minced
- ½ Red Bell Pepper , diced
- 2 Cups Cooked Rice , any variety
- 3 tablespoon Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce
- 1 Cup Frozen Green Peas , thawed
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn Kernels , thawed
- 1 Green Onion , thinly sliced
- In a large frying pan on medium-high heat, drizzle 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil. Place the cubes of Spam in the pan and fry until golden on all sides. When cooked remove from the pan and reserve.
- In the same pan, on medium-high heat, add the second tablespoon of Olive Oil. Place the shallot, bell pepper and garlic in the hot pan and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add the rice to the pan and continue cooking until it starts to get crispy, 5-10 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low, and add the soy sauce, sesame oil and sriracha sauce over the rice in the pan and stir to combine evenly.
- Add the cooked Spam, the corn kernels and the peas to the rice mixture and stir to combine until everything is heated through.
- Sprinkled the sliced green onion on top and serve.