Take the humble cabbage to a whole new mouthwatering level with this Cheesy Cabbage Steak recipe! Bake your cabbage slices to golden perfection, smother them in cheese, and garnished with fresh dill and bacon bits. Whether you're a vegetarian looking for a hearty main course or a carnivore seeking a unique side dish, this cheesy cabbage steak is sure to change you view of cabbage!
To make this recipe, I used a flathead cabbage. These are larger and harder to manipulate than your regular cabbage head. Use the nicer larger middle slices so that they lay flat on the tray. Shred all remaining cabbage and use to make a your favorite coleslaw or my Fried Cabbage with bacon and sausage recipe!
- Olive Oil
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Onion Powder
- Grated Cheese
- Fresh Dill
- Bacon Bits
See recipe card for quantities.
Slice your cabbage into 1-inch slices and carefully place them on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Mix together the olive oil mixture and brush generously on top of the cabbage slices.
Bake in the preheated 400F oven for 25 minutes. Take out of the oven and sprinkle the grated cheese on top. Place under the broil with the baking sheet being on the middle rack.
Take the cabbage steaks out of the oven when you are happy with the color on the cheese. Immediately sprinkle the bacon bits on the cabbage steaks. Garnish with fresh dill and enjoy!
Variations and Substitutions
- Spicy - Add 1 tablespoon of your favorite hot sauce to the olive oil mixture before brushing it on the cabbage slices. Alternatively, you could also sprinkle dry chili flakes on top with the cheese.
- Vegetarian - Simply omit the use of bacon bits to make it vegetarian.
- Cheese - Feel free to use any type of shredded cheese you have on hand.
What to eat with Cheesy Cabbage Steak
Wondering what to eat with Cheesy Cabbage Steak? Here is a few of our favorite meals to have it with
- Perogies and Kielbasa (garlic sausage) *favorite*
- Any type of grilled meat and potatoes
- Any Chicken and Rice dish like our Chicken and Rice Bake
Store leftovers of our Cheesy Cabbage Steak
Store any leftover Cheesy Cabbage Steak in an airtight container. Place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Heat them up in the microwave as a great side (or snack) the next few days. We do not recommend freezing them, as they will get soggy.
Cheesy Cabbage Steak
- 1 large Cabbage
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1½ cup Grated Mozzarella
- ½ cup Bacon Bits
- ¼ cup Fresh Dill , chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400F with a rack placed in the middle position. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Turn the cabbage upside down and carefully remove ¼ inch off of the core of the cabbage. This is just to remove the brown end under the cabbage. Also remove any damage or loose leaves from the outside of the cabbage.
- Place the cabbage right side up. Slice a little bit off the right and left side the cabbage (½ inch) to get a flat ends on either side. Continue by slicing 1 inch slices. You should get about 6 large slices of cabbage. Reserve the ends and any pieces that have fallen off.
- Place the cabbage slices on the prepared sheet pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, onion powder, salt, and paprika. Using a silicone brush, apply the olive oil mixture generously on top of the cabbage.
- Place the tray into the preheated oven for 25 minutes, turning the sheet around, half way through.
- Take the tray out of the oven and set your oven to broil.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top the cooked cabbage and place back into the oven to broil, on the middle rack. Keep watching them until you are happy with the color on the melted cheese.
- Remove the broiled cabbage from the oven and immediately sprinkle with the bacon bits. Proceed with garnishing them with the fresh dill.