Canned chicken is very convenient when needing to whip up lunch in a pinch. This Waldorf Chicken Salad takes the humble can of chicken and serves it up on a gold rimmed plate. Using leftover cooked chicken also works great in this recipe. Serve it with crackers, in a wrap, or on top of a bed of lettuce.
The recipe starts with a creamy base of mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, fresh dill and blue cheese. The magic happens when adding a perfect blend of flavors and textures.
- Canned Chicken
- Greek Yogurt
- Dijon Mustard
- Blue Cheese
- Fresh Dill
- Walnut Pieces
See recipe card for quantities.
Start by making the creamy base of the salad in a bowl large enough to contain all of the recipe's ingredients.
Add the drained chicken and all of the other ingredients on top of the creamy dressing. Stir to coat everything evenly.
Chicken salad is a great way to use up ingredients found in your pantry. Make it your own by changing up a few of the ingredients.
- Craisins - Replace the grapes in the recipes with ¼ Cup of dried cranberries.
- Onions - Replace the radishes with ¼ Cup of finely diced red onion
- Cooked Chicken - Use 1 Cup of diced or pulled cooked chicken instead of the can
- Nuts - Replace the toasted walnuts with toasted pine nuts or pecans.
When substituting ingredients in this recipe, you can get quite creative. Keep in mind the balance of flavors and textures and you'll have a great result.
Keep the ready made salad refrigerated in an air tight container for 2-3 days. Liquids from the ingredients will start to gather at the bottom of the container. For this reason, if you want to make the salad in advance, we recommend keeping the dressing separate from the rest of the ingredients, until ready to serve.
Waldorf Chicken Salad
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup Greek Yogurt , or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Blue Cheese , crumbled
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Dill , chopped finely
Other Salad Ingredients
- 1 piece Canned Chicken , drained (354g or 1 cup cooked chicken)
- 2 Ribs Celery , sliced finely
- ½ Apple , cubed small
- ¼ Cup Toasted Walnut Pieces
- 4 Radishes , halved and sliced thinly
- 8 Grapes , quartered
- You will need a large enough bowl to contain all of the recipe's ingredients.
- Place all of the salad dressing ingredients in the bowl and whisk until smooth and the blue cheese has broken down in the dressing.
- Add the drained chicken and all of the other salad ingredients. Mix with a spoon to coat everything evenly.
- Serve with crackers, inside of a wrap, or on top of a bed of lettuce. Enjoy!