Fill your home with the irresistible aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin with our Pumpkin Swirl Bread recipe. A separate cream cheese batter is swirled in to create a delicious and beautiful effect of pumpkin cheesecake.
I love making delicious loaves like my Banana Bread Recipe Without Butter. It's almost like having an excuse to eat a moist slice of cake for breakfast! Try making our Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Recipe if you have an extra pumpkin puree.
- Pumpkin Puree
- Canola (or vegetable) Oil
- Brown Sugar
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Cream Cheese
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make a Pumpkin Swirl Bread
Preheat you oven to 350F with a rack in the middle position. You will need an 8"x4" loaf pan for this recipe. A 9"x5" loaf pan can also be use, although baking time might have to be reduced.
Combine in a large bowl, the pumpkin, egg, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
Sift in all the dry ingredients for the pumpkin batter, into the wet ingredients.
Fold the dry and wet ingredients together. Mix until there is no more dry flour visible. You may use an hand mixer, but being careful not to overmix.
Combine in a smaller bowl, the flour, sugar, egg and softened cream cheese, to make the cream cheese batter. Whisk until smooth.
Grease your loaf pan with non-stick spray or butter. Place ⅔ of the pumpkin batter in the pan. Smooth our the batter into the corners, making sure there is a slight indent in the center of the loaf.
Pour the cream cheese batter into the pan. Scoop the rest of the pumpkin batter over the cream cheese batter and swirl them together with a butter knife. Place in your preheated oven for an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
HINT: Warm up the cream cheese ever so slightly in the microwave to make sure the cream cheese batter is nice and smooth (10-15 seconds on high). Make sure that it's not too warm, or else your batter will be too liquid and won't blend well with the pumpkin batter. You want the 2 batters to have a similar texture in order to have nice layers of the 2 batters in your pumpkin swirl bread.
Pumpkin Swirl Muffins
This recipe can be used to make 9 regular sized muffins. Line a 9 muffin cavities with liners. Use the same method as the loaf. Fill the prepared cavities half of the way. Evenly distribute the cream cheese batter over the pumpkin batter. Scoop the rest of the pumpkin batter evenly to fill the 9 muffin cavities. Place in a 350F oven for 35-40 minutes, making sure to use a toothpick to check for doneness.
When baking a loaf like this Pumpkin Swirl Bread, I love to let it cool completely and slice it all, to my desired thickness. Place it in a freezer bag or an air-tight container and take out a few slices at a time to enjoy anytime with your favorite hot beverage.
Pumpkin Swirl Bread
- 1 Loaf Pan 8"x4"
- 1¼ cup Pure Pumpkin Puree (not pie filling)
- ¼ cup Canola Oil or vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 large Egg at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
Cream Cheese Batter
- 4 oz Cream Cheese softened
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 large Egg at room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 350F with a rack in the middle position. Grease an 8"x4" loaf pan with butter or non-stick spray, and set aside.
For the pumpkin batter:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, egg, oil, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon over the pumpkin mixture. With a rubber spatula, fold the wet and dry ingredients together until there is not more dry flour showing. You can also use a hand mixer for this, being careful not to overmix.
For the cream cheese batter:
- Make sure your cream cheese is very soft. You may need to place it in the microwave on the high setting for 10-15 seconds.
- In a small bowl, whish together the softened cream cheese with the ¼ cup flour, 2 tablespoon brown sugar, and the 1 egg. Mix until smooth.
To assemble the loaf:
- Place ⅔ of the pumpkin batter in the prepared loaf pan. Spread the batter, making sure it goes into the corners. Create a small indent in the center of the loaf.
- Pour the cream cheese batter in the loaf pan. Continue by placing the rest of the pumpkin batter in the pan. Swirl the cream cheese mixture with the top layer of pumpkin batter.
- Place the loaf pan in the preheated oven for up to an hour, checking it at the 50 minute mark. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf should come out clean.
- Let the loaf cool completely before unmolding and slicing it. Enjoy!