Find comfort in my favorite pasta recipe to make during fall season. This Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Recipe is perfect to make when pumpkins are in season and the cold weather sets in.
Even though pumpkins might be plentiful during certain times of the year, I always find that using canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling), is very convenient and less intimidating. Make this easy recipe, in the time that it takes for your pasta to cook. Serve it as a side, or add your favorite cooked protein to make it a meal.
Add cooked chicken to this comforting pasta dish, like in our French Onion Chicken Pasta. Looking to use up ground meat, try out Philly Cheesesteak Pasta or our Creamy SPAM Tetrazzini Pasta for a rich, mushroom flavored pasta dish.
Make this super easy, and comforting recipe, any time of the year with canned pumpkin puree. Here are the few simple ingredients you will need.
- Your favorite short pasta: I used Farfalle but you can use Penne or Fusilli
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Canned Pumpkin Puree
- Pasta Water
- Ground Nutmeg
- Ground Cinnamon
- Fresh Parsley (optional garnish)
- Toasted Pecans (optional garnish)
See recipe card for quantities.
Make sure to reserve a cup of pasta water so you can add it to the sauce. Let's go through the few simple steps to make the Pumpkin Pasta Sauce recipe.
Cook your pasta in a large pot of salted water, until al dente. Reserve one cup of pasta water and strain the pasta.
In a large skillet over medium heat, drizzle some olive oil and cook the minced shallot and garlic. Add your salt and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Deglaze the skillet by slowly adding the broth to the pan. Add the cream, pumpkin puree, ½ cup of pasta water, and stir until smooth. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Turn the heat off. Place your drained pasta into the sauce and stir gently until everything is coated. Add more pasta water if you want a smooth sauce.
Plate this dish with chopped, toasted pecans and fresh chopped parsley. Serve with freshly grated parmesan for extra flavor and creaminess.
Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight containers for 2-3 days. I do not recommend freezing this recipe because the creamy sauce might separate when heating it up.
Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 8 oz Farfalle (Bow Tie) Pasta uncooked
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 large Shallot finely chopped
- 3 cloves Fresh Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Canned Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ cup Pasta Water (reserved from cooking pasta)
- ¼ cup Pecan Pieces toasted (optional)
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Parsley chopped (optional)
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese freshly grated (optional)
- In a large pot of boiling water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and cook the pasta until al dente. Once cooked, reserve 1 cup of the pasta water, then proceed with strained the pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, start preparing the sauce.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Drizzle the olive oil in the pan and cook the prepared shallot and garlic. Season with the 1 teaspoon of salt and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth in the skillet to deglaze it. Add the heavy cream, pumpkin puree and ½ cup of the reserved pasta water. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add the strained pasta into the sauce. Stir to cover the pasta in the sauce. If the sauce is too thick to your liking, you may add more of the reserved pasta water.
- Serve the the pasta with the optional toasted pecans, parsley, and parmesan.