Indulgence meets week night dinner, in this mouthwatering Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese recipe. This creamy, cheesy pasta dish, combines our Mild Buffalo Sauce recipe with the convenience of canned chicken. Whether you're planning a game day feast or simply craving a comforting weeknight meal with a twist, this Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is guaranteed to satisfy your cravings and leave you reaching for seconds.
This Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese combines a lot of comforting and flavorful ingredients! Serve this on game day to keep you guests full, all through overtime!
- Short Pasta (Elbow Macaroni, Rigatoni, Farfalle)
- Canned Chicken
- Cream Cheese
- Shredded Cheese
- Mild Buffalo Sauce
- Dijon Mustard
- Panko Crumbs ( or bread crumbs)
- Bacon Bits
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
Start by cooking you onion and garlic in the melted butter.
Create the sauce by adding the flour and then slowly whisk in the milk and cook until thickened.
Add in the cream cheese and stir until melted. Continue by adding the mustard and the buffalo sauce.
Add in the canned chicken, chopped bell peppers and shredded cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted.
Stir in the cooked pasta. Pour the Mac and Cheese into a prepared oven-safe dish.
Dress the top of the dish with the panko crumbs and bake for 20 minutes.
Take the Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese out of the oven. Sprinkle the top with bacon bits, chopped green onions and serve!
Make this mac and cheese dish your own by substituting a few of the ingredients.
- Pasta - Use any short type of pasta for this recipe. I love using Rigatoni, but you may use Elbow Macaroni, Farfalle, or Penne.
- Dairy - In our home we usually only have almond milk, so this is what I used in this recipe to make the cheese sauce. If you do this, make sure that any alternative dairy is unsweetened. Of course, regular milk will work very well.
- Cheese - For the grated cheese, you can use any type of brick cheese. Cheddar, or Marble cheese is great. I would even try using Monterey Jack cheese for extra flavor!
Got leftovers of the Buffalo Mac and Cheese?
This Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese recipe is very addictive and second servings are sure to be had! Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for 2-3 days. This dish freezes very well and makes a great treat when finding it, up to a month later!
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 2 Cups Raw Rigatoni Noodles
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 4 Cloves Garlic , minced
- ½ Large White Onion , finely chopped
- ¼ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 4 Oz Cream Cheese (half a regular brick)
- 2 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ½ Cup Buffalo Sauce
- 2 Cups Canned Chicken (2 x 354g cans) , drained
- ½ large Red Bell Pepper , finely chopped
- 2 Cups Grated Cheese , divided
- ¼ Cup Panko Crumbs
- ¼ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Parsley , finely chopped
- ½ Cup Bacon Bits (Optional garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and spray a 2 quart casserole or 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Start by cooking your pasta in a large pot. Follow instructions on the package, or until al dente. Drain the pasta and reserve.
- Place the same (emptied) large pot over medium heat. Melt the butter in the pot. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle the ¼ Cup of flour over the onion and garlic and stir for the flour to be absorbed by the butter. Cook for a couple minutes. Then proceed with slowly whisking in the milk while stirring constantly to keep it smooth until thickened.
- Once the sauce has thickened, turn the heat off. Add in the cream cheese in small cubes and stir until melted. Continue to add the mustard, buffalo sauce, canned chicken, chopped bell peppers, grated cheese, and cooked pasta.
- Stir everything together until the cheese is melted and the pasta is coated in the sauce. Pour the mac and cheese into the prepared dish.
- Combine the panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, and chopped parsley together in a small bowl and stir to combine. Evenly sprinkle over the mac and cheese to cover.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Take out of the oven and sprinkle with the cooked bacon bits. Let rest for 5-10 minutes and serve hot!