Delight your taste buds with the comforting and soul-satisfying flavors of our homemade Chicken and Dumplings recipe. This classic dish has it all; tender cubes of chicken, fresh vegetables, and fluffy dumplings, all in a rich, savory broth. So, roll up your sleeves, gather your ingredients, and prepare to embark on a culinary journey that will fill your kitchen with irresistible aromas and leave your family and friends clamoring for seconds.
Ingredients to make the soup and dumplings
This Chicken and Dumplings recipe is filled with fresh ingredients, yet comes together very easily and is very comforting.
- Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Broth
- Baking Powder
- Greek Yogurt
See recipe card for quantities.
This Chicken and Dumpling is technically a one pan meal. Cooking the chicken cubes first will add an extra layer of flavor in the soup base. Let's get cooking!
Cook the cubes of chicken with olive oil in your preheated Dutch oven. When cooked, remove from the pan and reserve.
Deglaze the Dutch oven with butter and cook your celery, carrot and onions for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over the cooking vegetables and stir until no dry flour is left.
Deglaze the pan with the broth and bring to a simmer. Add in the cooked chicken and keep simmering.
Make the dumpling batter by combining the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the wet ingredients. Fold the ingredients together until just combined. Do not overmix.
Scoop in the dumpling batter into the simmering soup.
Place the lid on the Dutch oven once all the dumplings have been scooped into the simmering soup. Cook for 10-15 minutes on low. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
- Chicken - instead of cooking chicken breasts, you can add in 2 cups of precooked chicken just after adding the broth.
Let the soup cool down to room temperature and then refrigerate in air-tight containers for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.
You can also freeze this dish in air-tight containers for up to 2 months.
Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil , to cook the chicken
- 2 Chicken Breasts , in half inch cubes
- 2 tablespoon Butter , to cook the vegetables
- 2 ribs Celery , sliced
- 2 large Carrots , peeled, halved, and sliced
- 1 large Yellow Onion , cubed small
- 3 Garlic Cloves , minced
- ⅓ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 7 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 large Green Onions , thinly sliced
- 1⅓ Cup Milk or milk substitute
- ¼ Cup Yogurt
- Heat your Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Drizzle in the olive oil and cook the cubes of chicken. When cooked, remove from the pan, onto a clean plate or bowl.
- Place the 2 tablespoon of butter into the Dutch oven and then add in the carrot, onion and celery pieces. Cook for 3 minutes and then add in the minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables. Stir it in, until it has incorporated with the juices and cook for a minute. Slowly pour in the broth to deglaze the pan. Scrape up all the flavorful bits from the bottom. Place the cooked cubes of chicken into the soup and bring to a simmer.
- To make the dumplings, stir the flour, baking powder, salt, paprika, and green onion together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Pour the milk and the yogurt in the center of the bowl and stir the two together. Gently bring the flour towards the middle and fold everything together until you obtain a shaggy mixture. Do not overmix, or else the cooked dumplings will be tough.
- Scoop 1½ inch balls of dough with either a spoon, or a cookie scoop. Place them gently into the simmering soup. Once all the dough is used up, place the lid on the soup. Do not lift the lid for 15 minutes. This is important, because the dumplings will cook by steam.
- Once the the dumpling have cooked through, serve the soup hot with freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these: