Wanna bring your side of rice to the next level? Make this Buttered Garlic Rice to pair with dinner and you'll never want go back to cooking rice in water. Love this recipe? Try out other rice recipes like our Spam Fried Rice and our Cheesy Rice.
Ingredients for Buttered Garlic Rice
- Long Grain White Rice (not instant)
- Garlic Cloves
- Olive Oil
- Onion Powder
- Vegetable Stock
- Unsalted Butter
- Fresh Parsley (optional)
See recipe card for quantities.
The key to making Buttered Garlic Rice is all in the order of cooking the ingredients.
Pictured is how the water looks when you first stir the rice in cold water. Discard that water and rinse the rice until the water becomes almost clear.
Start by placing the olive oil and the garlic in a sauce pan on medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes or until the garlic starts to take on color. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
When it just comes to a boil, add the (drained) rinsed rice to the pan. Turn the heat to low and place the lid the sauce pan. Simmer and cook as instructed on the package, about 20 minutes for 1 cup.
When the rice is cooked, take off the heat and all the softened butter to the pan and gently fluff up the rice. Add the freshly chopped parsley and serve hot.
Keep any extra rice refrigerated in an air tight container.
Buttered Garlic Rice
- 1 Cup Long Grain White Rice , rinsed
- ½ tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic , minced
- 2 ½ Cups Vegetable Broth
- ½ Tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter , softened
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley , finely chopped (optional)
- Place the rice is a fine sieve and rinse it well. Doing so, removes the excess starch from the grains and helps them not to stick to each other while cooking. Drain the water from the rinsed rice and reserve.
- Place a medium sauce pan, over medium heat. When hot, drizzle in the olive oil and cook the minced garlic until lightly golden.
- Add the broth to the sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add in the rinsed rice to the and the onion powder to the broth. Turn the heat down to low, and place the lid on the pan. Cook the rice at a very low simmer for 20 minutes or as the package recommends.
- Once the rice cooked, remove from the heat. Take the lid off and place the softened butter in the rice while fluffing it up with a spoon. If using the parsley, add it to the rice with the butter. Serve hot and enjoy!