This Apricot Chicken recipe is a harmonious fusion of flavors! It will tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving more. With its luscious apricot glaze and succulent chicken, this dish strikes the perfect balance between sweet and savory. This quick version of Apricot Chicken is a perfect choice for both casual weeknight dinners, and special occasions.
Serve this recipe on top of a bed of rice. Any kind of rice will you, but we absolutely love it on top of our Buttered Garlic Rice. Both recipes cook in just as little time!
Most recipes out there for Apricot Chicken, will use the convenience of Catalina Dressing and Onion Soup mix. Last thing we want is to have yet another bottle of salad dressing in our refrigerator! Our version is just as easy and uses ingredients you probably already have, apart from maybe fresh apricots.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Fresh Apricots (or "Plumcots" as pictured above)
- Apricot preserve (jam)
- Soy Sauce
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions for Apricot Chicken
Make this on week nights to have dinner ready in a pinch! It comes together easily and only using one pan! It's a win-win for a busy evening of running around.
Prepare your ingredients. Whisk together the sauce ingredients, chop up the onion and garlic, and cube the chicken.
In a hot skillet with olive oil, cook the cubed chicken. When cooked, removed from the pan and reserve.
In the same pan, cook the onion and the garlic. Once cooked, add in the sauce and the apricots. Simmer for 2 minutes.
Add the cooked cubes of chicken back into the pan. Stir to combine everything together and cover the chicken in the sauce. Serve over rice and enjoy!
Hint: Start cooking your rice, right before starting to cooking your chicken. When done cooking this recipe, the rice should be ready for plating!
Once cooked a slightly cooled, this is a great dish to portion for lunches. Store in air tight containers and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Can be frozen for up to a month.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil , to cook chicken
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast , in 1" cubes
- 1 tablespoon Butter , to cook onion and garlic
- ½ Large White Onion , diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic , minced
- 2 Fresh Apricots , pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Parsley , to serve (optional)
- ½ Cup Apricot Jelly
- ¼ Cup Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce (Low Sodium)
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder ( not onion salt )
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Start by mincing the garlic and chopping the onion. Set aside.
- Cube the chicken breasts and reserve on a plate.
- Prepare the apricot sauce by whisking the jelly, ketchup, soy sauce, and seasoning in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle the olive oil. Cook the cubed chicken. Once cooked, remove the pan, into a clean bowl or plate.
- Deglaze the skillet with the butter. Once melted, cook the onion and garlic pieces. When the onion are semi translucent, pour in the apricot sauce and stir to combine. Add in the apricot slices and simmer for a couple minutes.
- Add in the apricot slices and the cooked cubes of chicken and simmer for a couple minutes to heat everything through.
- Serve over rice or with your favorite pasta. Garnish with fresh parsley (optional).