Whip up a delightful twist on the classic mashed potatoes with our irresistibly creamy and flavorful Cottage Cheese Mashed Potatoes recipe. This innovative variation elevates the beloved side dish to new heights by incorporating the rich and velvety texture of cottage cheese.
I love making sides, almost just as much as the mains! A rich and cheesy side dish like my Cheesy Rice or my Cauliflower Mac and Cheese, works great when making a protein like my Blackened Chicken. But a mashed potato can go a long way, even when being reused as an element for another recipe.
When making mashed potatoes, the yellow fleshed Yukon Gold is a clear favorite. Blending in cottage cheese gives these mashed potatoes a delicious tanginess, which blend perfectly with the melted butter.
- Yellow fleshed potatoes
- Cottage Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Make lighter than air mashed potatoes with these few delicious steps (and just a few power tools!)
Peal and cube your potatoes. Place them in a large pot of boiling water. Boil them until very tender.
Meanwhile, combine the cottage cheese, milk, salt, and garlic powder. Blend them all together using, either a small blender, or an immersion blender, until very smooth.
Drain the cooked potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Cut up the butter into the potatoes and start blending them with a hand blender on the lowest speed.
Pour the cottage cheese mixture into the potatoes and blend until smooth. Fold in the chopped chives and you're ready to serve!
Alternative methods: If you have a potato ricer, process your potatoes after draining them. Add the butter and mix until melted and incorporated. Proceed with mixing in the blended cottage cheese mixture and the chopped chives.
- Dairy - For the milk in the recipe, I tend to use unsweetened almond milk and it works great. Feel free to use any type of milk you have, or even half-and-half.
- Herbs - If you do not have access to fresh chives, you may use dry, or any other herb mixture you prefer, or have on hand.
Place any leftovers in the refrigerator, in air-tight containers, for up to 3 days. Reheat them to serve with you next meals, or even use them to make other dishes. (Hello mashed potato pancakes!)
Cottage Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 4 large Yellow Flesh Potatoes around 2 pounds
- 1 cup Cottage Cheese
- ¼ cup Milk or milk substitute like almond milk
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt (omit if using salted butter)
- ¼ cup Fresh Chives finely chopped
- Place a large pot of boiling water on high heat and bring to a boil.
- Peal your potatoes and then chop each potato in half and each half in quarters. Cutting them the same size will help with an even cooking time.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the cream cheese mixture. Use a small blender or an emersion blender for this step.
- Combine your cottage cheese together with the milk, salt, and garlic powder. Blend until smooth.
- When the potatoes are cooked and very tender, remove them from the water and place in a large bowl. If using a potato ricer, process them into a large bowl.
- Break the butter into pieces and place in the hot potatoes. Use a hand mixer on the lowest speed to start mashing the potatoes. Once they are starting to break apart, pour in your cottage cheese mixture.
- Blend the potatoes until the cottage cheese mixture has fully incorporated. Fold in the chopped chives. Serve with extra fresh chives or parsley. Enjoy!